One of my favourite math teacher is definitely my mother! She was a middle school math teacher back in China before coming to Canada. Ever since I was a kid, my mother has been teaching me various things in Mathematics, like quick mental math practices, or just general tricks that I can use to speed up calculations. Whenever I had problems, I would always ask my mother for help. Beyond math, my mother has also taught me how to be a good person in general. My behaviours, actions, the way I speak, a lot of what defines me today came from my mother.
In terms of my least favourite math teacher, it has to be my discrete math 1 teacher from my first year undergrad class. His moved through materials very quickly (going to slides and not allowing students to ask questions), and most of the time he did not go in much depth. His exams also placed a lot of emphasis on memorizing from slides, which made studying more like making predictions on what will be on the exams. From this experience, I learned that as a future educator, I need to create a classroom where students are given opportunities to ask questions, and make assessments that reflect mathematical thinking. In addition, I must also regularly check for student understanding, making sure no one falls behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment